Sunday, October 29, 2006

books and bush

Hold on, that didn't sound right...!

wait, Bush DIDN'T say stay the course over and over and over? I guess the whole WORLD must have mis-heard.
Check out Crooks and Liars it's a great site.

Here's a partial book list for you.

1) Murder in the Heartland by M. William Phelps
2) Fraud by David Rakoff
3) Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
4) Forever Odd by Dean Koontz
5) The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld
6) Across a Hundred Mountains by Reyna Grande (thanks to the good people over at La Bloga
7) Fela: The Life and Times of an African Musical Icon by Michael E. Veal
8) L.A. Rex by Will Beall
9) Echo Park by Michael Connelly
10) Mother Tongue by Demetria Martinez

I liked everything I read - mostly. The Rakoff book I could have lived without. At times it was funny and sarcastic (which I like) but mostly it annoyed me.
Everyone needs some brain candy to read and you could do A LOT worse than the Koontz book. This particular character is compelling, honest and real. AND he sees dead people. The Fela Kuti book was really good even if you don't know who he was.
LA Rex was hard to read in all its gore and violence, but it had its moments of sheer genius. I loved the newest Harry Bosch book by Michael Connelly. That guy sure can write. I especially liked the Reyna Grande novel. I can't remember the last time I got as emotional over a story. Oh yeah, I remember. 3 words - no 6 words. Luis Alberto Urrea. The Hummingbird's Daughter.
Read, people.

Happy 73rd Birthday (tomorrow) to my dad.

Alessandro Zanardi is testing for F1 in a BMW. Amazing, since he had both legs amputated after a horrific crash in Germany when he was racing Indy cars. Now that's courage and fortitude. He was always one of the approachable ones at all the races. Nice man. Good deal.

No comments: